Misconduct Probe in Motion for Judge Alex Kozinski

LOS ANGELES — The Los Angeles Times has reported that a panel of federal judges on the East Coast was selected to oversee a misconduct probe into California Judge Alex Kozinski. Kozinski himself requested the investigation.

Kozinksi was presiding over the Ira Isaacs obscenity case that began last week. Stolen Cars Films and LA Media owner Ira Isaacs was charged with two counts of using a common carrier and interactive computer service for interstate commerce in obscene films. During the course of the trial, the Times broke the story that Kozinski had pornographic images posted on his personal website.

Last week, after Kozinski ordered a 48-hour stay in the obscenity case, the judge sent Isaacs’ defense attorney Roger Jon Diamond notice that he had recused himself from the case and for reasons of public interest he had found it necessary to declare a mistrial, Diamond told XBIZ. Legal wording of the notice was somewhat unclear, Diamond added but he’d construed it as a mistrial.

“We never went back to court and the jury was dismissed,” Diamond told XBIZ. “The jury can’t be called back. Jeopardy has attached to the case.”

A status conference has been called for Monday, June 30. Diamond said he would attempt to have that date moved up or down due to a family commitment. A status conference is a court-ordered meeting with a judge or an authorized counsel where they decide the date of the trial. Diamond said if the government attempted to retry the case he would argue the double jeopardy clause.

In regards to the investigation, Diamond said he believed the federal government had exploited the judge.

“If he can be investigated as publicly as this sets a dangerous precedent about questioning any judge’s personal interests.” Diamond told XBIZ.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

Show More