Hackers-for-Hire Launch DDoS Attack

LOS ANGELES – A man charged with hiring hackers to launch a distributed denial of service attack on his competitors is facing a five-count indictment in federal court in Los Angeles.

Jay Echouafni of Massachusetts is reportedly one of the first suspects involved in the use of DDoS to cripple competing websites, the Justice Department said.

Echouafni is accused of masterminding attacks on three online businesses to gain stronger clout among customers for his satellite and television retail outfit, Orbit Communication Corp. Echouafni allegedly hired hackers through a friend, Paul Ashley, to launch the DDoS attacks, a form of cyber terrorism that has been used lately to cripple large corporations like Microsoft, Cisco, and gaming sites.

A DDoS attacks is a method of waging a large-scale attack on a particular website by recruiting "zombie" computers and overloading the website's host or service provider.

The hackers-for-hire were reportedly a British citizen and two Americans. They were each paid $1,000.

Investigators nicknamed the case "Operation Cyberslam."

"This is an example of a growing trend: that is, denial of service attacks being used for either extortionate reasons, or to disable or impair the competition," said Frank Harrill, an FBI supervisory special agent. "It's a growing problem and one that we take very seriously, and one that we think has a very destructive impact and potential."

Echouafni faces charges related to aiding and abetting a computer attack, authorities said. Damages to the three companies are estimated at around $2 million.

Echouafni was released on bail earlier but he has not been seen in court since winning a motion to travel with his family within the U.S.

Authorities suspect he might have fled the country.

Ashley, an Ohio resident and employee of CIT/FooNet, is also named in a separate criminal investigation. According to reports, Ashley's office was raided and police traced the connection between the two men.

The case is part of a larger cyber crackdown by the Justice Department, which has so far rendered 150 federal criminal cases.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Ofcom: Age Assurance Going Live Across 'Thousands' of Porn Sites

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom said in a statement Thursday that providers of online pornography are implementing age assurance across “thousands of sites” accessible in the U.K., in response to Ofcom’s Online Safety Act (OSA) enforcement program.

ASGMax Debuts 'Roleplay' AI Chat Feature

Alpha Studio Group (ASG) has introduced the ASGmax Roleplay AI chat feature.

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Show More