AG Alberto Gonzales Subpoenaed for Attorney-Purging Documents

WASHINGTON — The House Judiciary Committee subpoenaed Attorney General Alberto Gonzales for documents pertaining to the firings of eight U.S. attorneys in December.

The Committee is investigating the Justice Department's motives for dismissing the federal prosecutors, and Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) said he is losing patience.

"We have been patient in allowing the department to work through its concerns regarding the sensitive nature of some of these materials," Conyers wrote to Gonzales in a letter accompanying the subpoena. "Unfortunately, the department has not indicated any meaningful willingness to find a way to meet our legitimate needs."

Conyers also said any further delay in receiving the documents would not serve any constructive purpose to the investigation.

The Committee initially launched its investigation in March. Initially officials at the Justice Department said the attorneys had been dismissed because of concerns about their job performance. However, the same sources now say at least some of the eight federal prosecutors were fired because of policy reasons.

Documents later released by Justice rose "new and troubling questions" regarding the firing of six of the eight prosecutors, according to Conyers.

"At a minimum, we believe these documents show a coordinated effort, initiated by the White House, to purge every U.S. attorney in the country,” Conyers said.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

Show More