S. Korea Search Engines File Google Complaint

SEOUL — Android-based smartphones use Google as their default search engine and, according to two search giants in South Korea, the preloading of Android had made it “virtually impossible to switch to another option” for Internet searching.

The No. 1 and 2 search engines here — Naver and Daum — have asked South Korea’s trade commission to probe whether Google has improperly maneuvered to have Android preinstalled on most smartphones being sold in the country, where two-thirds of are Android-based.

Naver and Daum control more than 70 percent of the mobile search market in South Korea, where there are 10 million registered smartphones.

Google, however, hasn't captured the search market like it has in other countries. In fact it only has a 1 to 2 percent share in the fixed-line search market here

Naver, owned by NHN Corp., says in its complaint that Google, “through a marketing partnership with major smartphone producers,” had unfairly created “a new ecosystem” by offering the Android system free to corner the market.

But Google, according to the Wall Street Journal, has denied the accusations, saying in a statement that “carrier partners are free to decide which applications and services to include on their Android phones.”

It is technically possible to switch search applications on Android phones but that switch is not easy. Naver and Daum said their applications could not be purchased as a preloaded option.

Microsoft filed a similar antitrust complaint last month with European regulators, saying Google was engaging in anticompetitive practices on the web and in smartphone software in relation to videos on Google-owned YouTube.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

Show More