Contempt Charges Levied Against Notorious Spyware Marketers

WASHINGTON — Two spyware marketers and a company were ordered by a federal judge Thursday to forfeit $550,000 for disobeying a previous court order that barred them from their business practices.

“Spamford” Sanford Wallace, Walter Rines and Rines’ business, Online Turbo Merchant, Inc., were ordered to pay after U.S. attorneys representing the Federal Trade Commission told a U.S. district judge that Rines violated a provision in a 2006 settlement order that required him to post a $500,000 performance bond before downloading or installing computer code or other content that causes the display of ads or collects personal information.

The court granted the FTC’s request to hold Rines’ business partner Wallace in contempt because he had notice of the order and helped Rines collect personal information online without users’ prior consent, in violation of the order.

In its original 2005 complaint, the FTC charged Odysseus Marketing and owner Rines with luring consumers to their MySpace websites by offering free software, including a program that supposedly allowed them to engage in anonymous peer-to-peer file sharing.

The bogus software was bundled with spyware that intercepted and replaced search results and barraged consumers’ computers with popup ads, according to the FTC. The agency charged that the defendants subjected MySpace users to phishing, pagejacking and mousetrapping scams.

In May 2008, MySpace won a $234 million judgment against Wallace and Rines.

And Wallace, earlier this year, was hit with another FTC complaint. Regulators said that he and others were responsible for phishing attacks and CAN-SPAM violations by posting spam messages on Facebook members' walls.

Just last month, Wallace, who has promoted himself as the “original Spam King,” filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More