Music Industry to Work With ISPs, Stop Going After Song Swappers

LOS ANGELES — The Recording Industry Association of America last week dropped its policy of suing individual file sharers and announced that it is working with Internet service providers to shut out the worst offenders.

RIAA announced it stopped sending out new lawsuits and warnings in August and signed on with several U.S. Internet service providers to have them notify alleged illegal file-sharers that their Internet service would be blocked if they didn’t stop.

Some adult companies have made attempts to enforce copyright infringement in the same vain as RIAA in Europe, but it “hasn’t really taken off in the U.S.” because Internet privacy is more stringent, said Walters of Weston, Garroy, Walters and Mooney.

RIAA’s new strategy of working with the ISPs is preferable, he said, because it will cut down the “tremendous backlash against music producers and the artists involved” that resulted from the lawsuits.

“It’ll be interesting to see if the adult space adapts this business model,” Walters said.

Through lawyers, the RIAA has gone after some 35,000 people since 2003. Most of the lawsuits were settled on average for about $3,500, although the association's legal costs netted less money then what it cost to pay lawyers.

"We're at a point where there's a sense of comfort that we can replace one form of deterrent with another form of deterrent," said Mitch Bainwol, RIAA chairman and chief executive. "Filing lawsuits as a strategy to deal with a big problem was not our first choice five years ago."

In late September, a federal judge in Minnesota threw out a $222,000 jury award to the RIAA and declared a mistrial. U.S. District Judge Michael Davis at that time said that he shouldn't have told jurors that having copyrighted music in a shared folder was illegal.

The decision came as a part of the case Capitol vs. Thomas, the RIAA's first file-sharing copyright infringement case.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More