Justice Department Wants More Time to Respond to FOSTA Lawsuit

Justice Department Wants More Time to Respond to FOSTA Lawsuit

WASHINGTON — Justice Department attorneys have asked a federal judge to extend by two weeks their response to a lawsuit that challenges the constitutionality of FOSTA and seeks a preliminary injunction over the new law.

Woodhull Freedom Foundation and other plaintiffs sued the government last month following President Trump signing FOSTA into law in early April.

FOSTA, known formally as the Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act, brings new tools for law enforcement, including the ability to bring criminal charges against the operators of sites that facilitate prostitution.

Woodhull and the other plaintiffs noted First and Fifth Amendments violations come with the law amending Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, which provided companies immunity from most liability for publishing third-party content.

Sex workers and civil liberties advocates have condemned FOSTA’s heavy-handed approach ever since legislation in both the Senate and House gathered steam.

Yesterday, Justice Department attorneys said they objected to Tuesday’s deadline to file an opposition to Woodhull’s motion for preliminary injunction.

Instead, the government has asked U.S. District Judge Richard Leon to approve a Friday, July 20, deadline for a response.

Woodhull and other plaintiffs, however, said they are opposed to any extension of time that goes past Monday, July 16

Additional time is needed to formulate a response in part because counsel from the Justice Department’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section was on a pre-arranged trip the past week and will return on Monday, the government said.

Leon likely will decide on the motion for an extension on Monday.

Check out Woodhull’s lawsuit here.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Ofcom: Age Assurance Going Live Across 'Thousands' of Porn Sites

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom said in a statement Thursday that providers of online pornography are implementing age assurance across “thousands of sites” accessible in the U.K., in response to Ofcom’s Online Safety Act (OSA) enforcement program.

ASGMax Debuts 'Roleplay' AI Chat Feature

Alpha Studio Group (ASG) has introduced the ASGmax Roleplay AI chat feature.

Linda Lan Performs 1st Anal, Headlines Jonni Darkko's 2nd 'POV Anal Sluts'

Linda Lan performs her first anal scene and toplines director Jonni Darkko’s sequel to “POV Anal Sluts,” from Evil Angel.

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Leana Lovings, Aria Banks Front Latest From Reality Kings

Leana Lovings and Aria Banks star in the latest release from Reality Kings, titled "Synchronized Scissoring."

Penthouse Names Lennon Elizabeth April's 'Pet of the Month'

Penthouse Magazine has named model Lennon Elizabeth as Pet of the Month for April.

Bella Spark, Kelly Collins Star in Finale of VMG Cross-Site Feature 'Bang and Burn'

Bella Spark and Kelly Collins star with Vixen Media Group exclusive Jason Luv in the final installment of the cross-site spy feature "Bang and Burn."

Jade Kimiko, Cecelia Taylor Headline 'Women Seeking Women 199'

Jade Kimiko and Cecelia Taylor topline “Women Seeking Women 199” from Girlfriends Films.

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Show More