AG Gonzales Summoned to Testify on Attorney Firings

WASHINGTON — Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has been summoned by the Senate Judiciary Committee today for a day-long hearing over the firing of eight U.S. attorneys in December.

Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., so far has questioned Gonzales about the extent of his involvement in the firings after emails surfaced confirming he was active in discussions regarding the purged attorneys.

In a previous press conference, Gonzales said he played no role in the firing process. Today, he apologized for his "missteps," stating he misspoke during that conference and did not intentionally mislead the Department of Justice or the media.

Gonzales insists he had "limited involvement" in the firing process and maintains his belief that any meetings regarding the firings that took place were held only to discuss their performances as attorneys.

"It would be improper to remove a U.S. attorneys to interfere with or influence a particular prosecution for partisan political gain," Gonzales said. "I did not do that. I would never do that."

Gonzales followed by saying he also believe no one else in the DOJ involved in the firings acted with malicious intent.

Gonzales was subpoenaed April 10 to hand over documents that Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., said he believes "show a coordinated effort, initiated by the White House, to purge every U.S. attorney in the country.”

Court documents reveal that one of the eight attorneys, Paul Charlton of Arizona, may have been purged for his role in the JM Productions obscenity trial. A motion to dismiss obscenity charges against adult distributor Christopher Ankeney and Five Star Video argued that the U.S. government had overseen the sale in Arizona of several adult titles deemed obscene.

The government's involvement in the sale began when Castle Megastore filed for bankruptcy, and the government appointed Vern Schweigert and Mark Franks to run the company. The court papers stated that, between 2003 and 2006, Castle stores throughout the state sold more than 100 copies of the titles in question — “Filthy Things 6,” “Gag Factor 15,” “Gag Factor 18” and “American Bukkake 13.”

In his motion to dismiss, Castle Megastore's attorney Richard Hertzberg argued that the U.S. government could not bring an obscenity charge against his client because it had in fact approved the sale of the adult titles.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Ofcom Fines OnlyFans Parent Company Over Inaccurate Age Verification Reporting

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom has fined OnlyFans parent company Fenix International Ltd. $1.36 million for inaccurate reporting of its age verification measures.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

Age Verification Watch: Michigan Joins the AV Club, Some Laws Just Make No Sense

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Free Speech Groups Back SCOTUS Appeal of Georgia Strip Club Tax

Two civil liberties organizations filed an amicus brief Tuesday supporting a petition asking the U.S. Supreme Court to hear an appeal in a case involving whether a tax specifically aimed at adult entertainment establishments violates the First Amendment.

Swedish Court Rules LELO Products Do Not Infringe 'Invalid' Satisfyer Patent

A Swedish district court has ruled that a patent filed by Satisfyer parent company EIS GmbH is not valid, and therefore three products from pleasure brand LELO are not in violation.

North Dakota House Committee Questions Anti-Porn 'Public Health Hazard' Claim

The North Dakota House of Representatives Education Committee on Monday amended a resolution that would have recognized pornography as a “public health hazard,” instead replacing that language with a call for further study into whether such a designation is appropriate.

Wyoming Governor Signs Age Verification Law

Wyoming Governor Mark Gordon signed the state's new age verification bill into law yesterday.

Florida Bill Would Auto-Filter Porn for All Users, Not Just Minors

Florida lawmakers have introduced legislation to require manufacturers to equip tablets and smartphones with a filter that would prevent all users from accessing material deemed harmful to minors, to be automatically enabled on devices activated in that state.

Show More