Twitter Amends Sexual Health Ad Policy

LOS ANGELES — Twitter, which has habitually blocked ad campaigns concerning condoms and sexual health campaigns, has tweaked the rules in favor of the companies it had been shutting out.

Condom retailer Lucky Bloke announced that it had its advertising ban lifted on Monday after nine months of complaints and a spirited public campaign, #Tweet4Condoms, directed at changing the policy.

Lucky Bloke CEO Melissa Hill says that Twitter has modified their ad policies and removed condoms and contraceptives from the "adult products" category, reclassifying them as "health products."

“For the many of you who championed our #Tweet4Condoms campaign, I want to thank you sincerely for lending your voice and support,” Hill said after learning of the change. “It is exciting to see that, united, we can make a positive difference even when standing up to a tech giant.”

A Twitter spokesperson confirmed the news, telling RH Reality Check that “Ads for non-prescription contraceptive products such as condoms and spermicides, and ads for personal lubricants, now fall under our health and pharmaceutical products and services policy.”

The spokesperson said that the change to the company’s ad policy for adult or sexual products and services was launched in mid-January.

According to RH Reality Check, the new policy also clarifies some confusing language that seemed to ban ads for “contraceptives” while still allowing some ads for condoms.

The policy now lists birth control pills and emergency contraception as “restricted,” or subject to review by Twitter, as it does with all other pharmaceutical products.

Despite the progressive stride, the policy still prohibits “sexual content” in ads or linked material for sexual health awareness or condoms. Companies find this is one of the most difficult caveats to maneuver.         

White is encouraged by Twitter’s willingness to evolve, and believes that this initial step could be a harbinger of additional, much-needed change — to amend antiquated thoughts on sexuality — across all social media channels. 

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Ofcom: Age Assurance Going Live Across 'Thousands' of Porn Sites

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom said in a statement Thursday that providers of online pornography are implementing age assurance across “thousands of sites” accessible in the U.K., in response to Ofcom’s Online Safety Act (OSA) enforcement program.

ASGMax Debuts 'Roleplay' AI Chat Feature

Alpha Studio Group (ASG) has introduced the ASGmax Roleplay AI chat feature.

Honey Play Box Debuts 'Tressa' Vibrator

Honey Play Box introduced its new Tressa multi-stimulation, app-enabled vibrator.

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Blush Debuts 2 New Glass Plugs From 'Oh My Gem' Collection

Blush has introduced two new glass plugs, Lustre and Prestige, from its Oh My Gem collection.

EP Products Founder Don Wilson Passes Away

Don Wilson, the founder of EP Products and a notable figure in Canada's adult retail community, has passed away. He was 78.

Orion Debuts 'Your Strap-On' Collection From 'You2Toys' Line

Orion Wholesale has introduced the Your Strap-On collection from its You2Toys line.

Stephen Colbert Takes Aim at Texas' Crackdown on Sex Toys

Stephen Colbert is cracking up over Texas lawmakers’ crackdown on sex toys in the state.

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Show More