Isaacs Jury Is Hung on Obscenity Charges

LOS ANGELES — U.S. District Judge George King has dismissed jurors in the Ira Isaacs obscenity case, declaring that they have failed to deliver a verdict and are hung as to reaching a decision.

Through the three-day trial, jurors viewed four movies Isaacs is accused of distributing and that the Justice Department has declared obscene. Jurors started deliberating on Monday.

At post time, it wasn't clear whether federal prosecutors will retry the case.

"Yes, I'm happy with the [outcome]" Isaacs told XBIZ. "But I've got to do it all over again. This is my existential fate — I'm going to be in court for the rest of my life."

Isaacs said jurors were deadlocked 10-2 in favor of finding him guilty.

Two of the jurors who voted against conviction were women, including a 75-year-old who entered the courtroom one day last week wearing a Christmas-themed sweater with snowmen.

Isaacs said the juror told him after the trial that her late husband was a maker of horror films, and that she found artistic value in the movies.

Isaacs, who operates Stolen Car Films and LA Media, pleaded not guilty to obscenity charges for videos allegedly distributed in 2007 and 2011.

The government in the case targeted the movies "Mako’s First Time Scat," "Hollywood Scat Amateurs #7," "Hollywood Scat Amateurs #1" and "Japanese Doggie 3 Way."

The long-running case was put on hold in 2010 after federal appellate Judge Alex Kozinski, a visiting judge at the district court, recused himself after it was revealed that he used a website to distribute sexually explicit photos and videos.

Later, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals decided that Kozinski exercised “sound discretion” in declaring a mistrial in the Isaacs case because of “extraordinary circumstances.”

But federal prosecutors continued on with the case against Isaacs and last year made a superseding indictment to add five more counts to the original five from 2007. Prosecutors later narrowed the charges down to five.

Attorney Roger Jon Diamond, who has represented Isaacs through the years in the two obscenity trials, told XBIZ that the government shouldn't consider retrying the case.

"Ira Isaacs and I are very pleased that he was not convicted, but we do not want a third trial," he said. "We've already had two trials. Two's enough."

Diamond went on to say that the government from the get-go has played hardball in its attempt to get a victory on federal obscenity charges.

"This case arose from the original Kozinski trial," he said. "The government bullied its way through that case then and intimidated Judge Kozinski."

"We think the case should be dropped now."

Michael Grant, the lead Justice Department attorney trying the Isaacs case, could not be reached for XBIZ comment late Tuesday.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Ryan Keely, Nicole Doshi Topline Latest From Sweetheart Video

Ryan Keely and Nicole Doshi headline the 19th volume of "Lesbian Adventures: Strap On Specialists" from Mile High Media's studio imprint Sweetheart Video.

Wendy Raine Fronts 'Mamma Mia' Parody From MYLF

Wendy Raine stars with Eva Nyx and Quinton James in a “Mamma Mia” parody from MYLF, titled “Memories Cumming to My Mind.”

Briella Coley Makes Her Evil Angel Debut

Briella Coley has made her debut for Evil Angel alongside director/performer Richard Mann.

Jasmine Sherni Takes the Spotlight in 2-Part Brazzers Release

Jasmine Sherni stars in the two-part Brazzers scene titled “TroubleMakerzz.”

Ofcom: Age Assurance Going Live Across 'Thousands' of Porn Sites

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom said in a statement Thursday that providers of online pornography are implementing age assurance across “thousands of sites” accessible in the U.K., in response to Ofcom’s Online Safety Act (OSA) enforcement program.

ASGMax Debuts 'Roleplay' AI Chat Feature

Alpha Studio Group (ASG) has introduced the ASGmax Roleplay AI chat feature.

Linda Lan Performs 1st Anal, Headlines Jonni Darkko's 2nd 'POV Anal Sluts'

Linda Lan performs her first anal scene and toplines director Jonni Darkko’s sequel to “POV Anal Sluts,” from Evil Angel.

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Leana Lovings, Aria Banks Front Latest From Reality Kings

Leana Lovings and Aria Banks star in the latest release from Reality Kings, titled "Synchronized Scissoring."

Penthouse Names Lennon Elizabeth April's 'Pet of the Month'

Penthouse Magazine has named model Lennon Elizabeth as Pet of the Month for April.

Show More