GGW's Francis Ready to Defend Himself in Underage Suit

PANAMA CITY, Fla. — Girls Gone Wild CEO Joe Francis said he is “fully prepared” to represent himself at his trial in which four women accuse him of sexually exploiting them when they were minors.

The plaintiffs sued Francis and three corporations he controls, MRA Holdings, Mantra Films and AERO Falcons, for “filming them exposing their breasts and/or engaging in sexually explicit conduct” for the “Girls Gone Wild” series.

The lawsuit is set for March 28, but Francis has had a difficult time finding and retaining counsel. His most recent attorney, Frederick Bateman, withdrew from the case because Francis failed to follow ethical and procedural requirements, according to OnPointNews.com.

Bateman then sued Francis for unpaid fees, claiming he owes him close to $500,000. Francis said he has paid the amount due under his retainer agreement.

Last week, U.S District Judge Richard Smoak entered a default judgment against the corporations because Francis failed to secure counsel for them.

Francis has declared in court that he has been looking for representation and has contacted dozens of attorneys, attempts that he said have proven even more difficult because of his former attorney’s refusal to turn over his case file.

Corporations cannot represent themselves and a default judgment can be entered against a corporation that is not represented by a lawyer. In a default damages proceeding, a defendant can only cross-examine witnesses and object to the plaintiff's evidence.

“Defendants’ numerous [procedural] violations demonstrate a flagrant and willful disregard of the rules of the court,” Smoak said in his default motion.

If the judge does enter a default judgment against Francis at trial, he and his corporate entities would stand trial only on the issue of damages.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Ryan Keely, Nicole Doshi Topline Latest From Sweetheart Video

Ryan Keely and Nicole Doshi headline the 19th volume of "Lesbian Adventures: Strap On Specialists" from Mile High Media's studio imprint Sweetheart Video.

Wendy Raine Fronts 'Mamma Mia' Parody From MYLF

Wendy Raine stars with Eva Nyx and Quinton James in a “Mamma Mia” parody from MYLF, titled “Memories Cumming to My Mind.”

Briella Coley Makes Her Evil Angel Debut

Briella Coley has made her debut for Evil Angel alongside director/performer Richard Mann.

Jasmine Sherni Takes the Spotlight in 2-Part Brazzers Release

Jasmine Sherni stars in the two-part Brazzers scene titled “TroubleMakerzz.”

Ofcom: Age Assurance Going Live Across 'Thousands' of Porn Sites

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom said in a statement Thursday that providers of online pornography are implementing age assurance across “thousands of sites” accessible in the U.K., in response to Ofcom’s Online Safety Act (OSA) enforcement program.

Linda Lan Performs 1st Anal, Headlines Jonni Darkko's 2nd 'POV Anal Sluts'

Linda Lan performs her first anal scene and toplines director Jonni Darkko’s sequel to “POV Anal Sluts,” from Evil Angel.

XBIZ Miami's Host Hotel Sold Out, General Registration Now Open

Guest rooms at XBIZ Miami’s exclusive conference venue, Nautilus Sonesta Miami Beach hotel in South Beach, are now completely sold out.

Leana Lovings, Aria Banks Front Latest From Reality Kings

Leana Lovings and Aria Banks star in the latest release from Reality Kings, titled "Synchronized Scissoring."

Penthouse Names Lennon Elizabeth April's 'Pet of the Month'

Penthouse Magazine has named model Lennon Elizabeth as Pet of the Month for April.

Bella Spark, Kelly Collins Star in Finale of VMG Cross-Site Feature 'Bang and Burn'

Bella Spark and Kelly Collins star with Vixen Media Group exclusive Jason Luv in the final installment of the cross-site spy feature "Bang and Burn."

Show More